9.12.2007

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

You may or may not have heard, but the Houston Museum of Natural Science is the first stop on Lucy's first tour of North America. This is only the third time "she's" ever been displayed--the other two times were in Ethiopia where she was found. Many people are not happy that she's been removed from her African home to be paraded around the US, but I am more than excited about it, and I can't wait to go see her. So a couple of days ago, I picked up Audrey from school and she was recounting a conversation she had with Braden (more about him in a subsequent post) in which she was telling him about the things she likes at the HMNS. "I was telling him that I like the skeletons of the woolly mammoth and the pterodactyl the best because I like the kind of scary things. Scary and ancient are the kinds of things I like." At that moment, without thinking I said, "Yeah, we need to go there soon because Lucy is going to be there." Her--"who's Lucy?" Me in my head--"how do you explain the concept of an early hominid to a six year old whose only frame of reference is a very literal understanding of the biblical story of The Creation?"


When I was about seven or eight years old, I remember my best friend's dad used to always like to talk to me about human evolution. They had some books about (ironically) Lucy, and he loved to tease me, in a good hearted sort of way about weather or not man evolved from monkeys. Back then, I was a strict Creationist, since I hadn't learned anything about evolution up until then. I don't really remember when I even was taught about evolution, but I don't ever remember thinking that it didn't jibe with my religious convictions. There was never a question of whether or not evolution has and continues to occur, because the evidence in the fossil record is pretty compelling. The organisms that are represented came from somewhere, and it just isn't coincidence that they show a pattern of change, right up to the flora and fauna found living today. I guess I've just never understood the point of view that evolution goes against the story of the creation found in Genesis. Or even more implausible, that the evolution of other animals occured, but somehow humans didn't evolve from earlier hominids.

I'm not saying that I have all the answers--it does put the story of the Creation in a precarious place. I can't explain how Adam and Eve were the first people. Some have hypothesized that earlier hominids didn't have spirits or something, and I don't know about that. I do believe that Adam and Eve are the parents of the human family, but I don't know what came before, or how the human family arrived at that point in time.

"Lucy is a skeleton that's millions of years old that was found in Africa. She was kind of like a human, but she lived a long time before humans were on the earth," I said. "Cool," was her reply. When we got home she ran to tell Parker "Parky, we're going to go see a skeleton at the Natural Science Museum that's millions of years old that was kind of like a human but not a human. Cool, huh?" Then later that night she came up to me and said, "what did they talk like if they weren't really like people?" The wheels had been turning.

I'm sure she will have a lot more questions after we actually go see Lucy. I'll keep you posted.

15 comments:

Pa said...

Neal, thanks for the post and the reasoning. We love to hear the machinations of Audrey's mind, knowing that somehow it is a reflection of yours. We miss you all.

Ginger said...

I didn't really believe in evolution until I went to BYU... I guess I hadn't really thought about it before then.

I don't agree with people who say that beings prior to Adam and Eve, whatever they may have been, didn't have spirits. We are taught that all living things have spirits. And I am not sure how the whole evolution thing works in relation to the current status of humans.

My kids have never questioned evolution... for some reason they have just always believed in it. In fact, I wonder if they even KNOW the creation story?!?

Charlotte said...

Not sure about the whole spirit thing, but don't you think Jesus had to do a little experimenting before he got things just right. There has to be some sort of learning curve.

Anonymous said...

anyone else cringe at that last comment?

Anonymous said...

Neal and Charlotte, Those were both good post and they strike a very good medium.

Cuz Matthew

Neal said...

Relax, anonymous, I don't think it was meant to be taken as a completely serious comment. Anyway, I think the account of the Creation that is given in the Book of Abraham leaves a lot more room for the concept of evolution with phrases like:

Abr 4:18 And the Gods watched those things which they had ordered until they obeyed.
-and-
Abr 4:21 And the Gods prepared the waters that they might bring forth great whales . . . (emphasis mine)

It gives the idea that it was less of a "poof" event and more of a process.

Leslie said...

quote from parker, while looking at the HMNS website after school today:
"Whoa, Auda! These people TOTALLY look like monkeys!"

just where are we going with this anyway . . . :)

tara said...

Cool post, Neal. I need to go back and listen to Lucy in the sky with diamonds, probably has nothing to do with the humanoid huh? A nice title for this post though!

I agree with ginger and charlotte. And I'm sure they had spirits just like all animals do today... they just weren't as "intelligent" as humans are. (post adam and eve)

One day it will be cool to really understand how it really all went down.

Jodie Haney said...

I have always thought Adam and Eve were the first Humans to have an understanding, or relationship with, God. The first enlightened humans.
Also, the idea that a woman was born of a man's rib, I think, supports the evolution idea.
Of course, I would LOVE to know what other people think!

Anonymous said...

of course the creation wasn't a 'poof", but evolution? get real!

Neal said...

OK, anonymous, what's your take then? And kindly sign your name, it might lend a little credibility to what you have to say.

Anonymous said...

I had a lot of friends in high school who were strict evolutionists. They ignored the posibility of specific divine guidence influencing the obviously nature-intuitive evolution mechanism. When I stated studying it more, I always felt like the idea of God seeing a lifetime as a mere heartbeat in time adds credability to a "6 day" creation period that spans the millions of years of plant/animal evolution up until the time of Adam and Eve. In any case, if God had decided to bypass the laws of physics, genetics, and chemistry to perform the creation, he would have ceased to be God.

Ryan

Anonymous said...

As for the sub-human issue, I have always felt like the difference lies not in the possession of a soul, but in having the ability to truly comprehend right from wrong.

Anonymous said...

Charlotte - I can't believe you implied that Jesus didn't know how to do something perfectly on his first try. As a carpenter, he probably knew how to build perfectly balanced rocking chairs before he could walk. Wait... did I just say He had to learn how to walk? BLASPHEMY!

Anonymous said...

Of course the earlier hominids had spirits, even plants do. I think maybe it just that the spirits of Adam and Eve were the first spirit children of god to come to the earth.