10.10.2007

In Rainbows, In Review

175radioheadrainbows

I hate to say Radiohead is an acquired taste, because I think it implies something that really does taste bad at first, but then you start to like it. I don't think Radiohead could ever taste bad--but you just might not realize just how good it tastes initially. I like to think of it as more of a refined taste. And it gets more savory the more you hear. When I first listened to In Rainbows I wasn't quite sure about it. I have to admit I'm one of those people that listens to little snippets of each song really fast to quickly get through the whole album and get a feel for it. After 14 years, I should know that doesn't fly with Radiohead. Even though the first listen is more instantly gratifying than some of their other albums, this one definitely gets better with each listen. I was with Jooj at first--I thought it was good, but maybe not great, but after a couple of listens, I think I would classify it as a whole as one of their better efforts, with a couple of the songs being on par with their best. The first track 15 Steps is amazing. This track could have easily come from Thief or Amnesiac with it's uptempo snares layered over a slightly distorted main beat. The best part is the jazzy guitar riff that seems to run throughout the album. And who doesn't love a song with a sample of cheering children? Bodysnatchers is the hardest track of the lot. The vocals start out almost exactly like Palo Alto from the Airbag/How's My Driving EP--one of my favorite songs of all time. It gets just gritty enough without being over the top like they sometimes get--I'm thinking of The Bends and the later tracks from OK Computer. I didn't really like Nude at first, but after a couple of listens its growing on me. It would fit nicely on a Magnet album and the very end sounds almost like Matt Hales. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi is my favorite track on the album, and may turn out to be one of my all time favorites. I read one review that said that the lyrics are "deeply depressing, even for Radiohead," but then again, no one can sing falsetto about ending it all and then being eaten by worms and weird fishes quite like Thom. It's got the almost panicked drum beat of some of their more recent stuff, but it's melodic like their earlier material. It kind of reminds me of some of the tracks from The Bends, but doesn't get corrupted by the hard guitar/heavy distortion like (nice dream) or high and dry--it builds just enough. All I Need is my least favorite track. Nothing really stands out about it. Does the synth loop at the beginning remind anyone else of Nothing Better by The Postal Service? I thought so. Faust Arp is a great song. It could almost be the second half of A Wolf at the Door (It Girl. Rag Doll), with its run together, stream of consciousness sounding repeated lyrics. Reckoner is another great track. It features the jazzy guitars again--over tambourines that sound a lot like the beginning of sulk. I swear the unintelligible vocal track at the beginning of House of Cards is a sample from Cocteau Twins' Treasure. OK, I know it's not her, but it sounds a lot like Elizabeth Fraser. And who would have ever thought the lyrics " . . . I don't want to be your friend/I just want to be your lover . . . " would come out of Thom's mouth. Jigsaw Falling Into Place is a good track, doesn't really stand out. Videotape would be a lot better without the disconnected drumbeat that starts about halfway through the song.

So there you have it. My take on each track. Overall I like it--a lot. It seems to me to be kind of a mix of The Bends, Airbag, and Hail to the Thief but without some of the negatives from those albums. Leslie once told me that she wants her own iPod because "it would have way less Radiohead on it." Well, there are now 10 more tracks on it that will be in heavy rotation. My picks--tracks 1, 2 and 4. There you go.

And, by the way, if I'm on anyone's Christmas list, the £40 boxed set can be ordered for December delivery. Just FYI.

12 comments:

Leslie said...

yer weird.

all i need to know is, is it good make out music. ;)

Anonymous said...

Your album review is reminiscent of album reviews by Patrick Bateman from American Psycho. Watch out Leslie!

sara said...

This kid knows what he's talking about.

I haven't had time to listen to it more than 1.5 times yet (just bought a new tv, had a new niece born, teaching piano lessons, & other distractions) but it's definitely so far so good. Now if they would just do another tour; we crossed state lines to catch a show of the HTTT tour... would do that again in heartbeat.

joojierose said...

so i've listened to the album about a dozen times now (i'm a student, all i do is read). and after it's over, i just start it up again and again. i admit that when hail to the thief, kid A, and amnesiac came out i couldn't do that. in rainbows is probably for me the easiest radiohead album to listen to. it's relaxing and calmer than the others - which i like. still, in my personal taste i prefer their older work. i'm weird in that i like the music to get under my skin, so to speak. and by the way, i have a demo version of "arpeggi" that i got from a friend 2 years ago - it's very different, i should send it to you neal, see what you think. "nude" is my favorite on the album, except i hate the ending. in fact, i think many of the tracks have really weak endings. what i love about radiohead is how they come out with multiple versions of songs, especially in their live sessions. and i'd like to see them rework some of these songs to be honest.

i mean, bottom line, i love it. it's radiohead - of course i love it. the only thing i can compare it to is other radiohead albums - because if comparing to other music these days, there really is no contest. (sigur ros is the only thing in my taste that comes close to the artistic merit of radiohead)

excellent review-skills neal. and i'll send you that "arpeggi."

sara said...

I just wish it was longer & more new material. My brother-in-law told me he has 4 versions of Nude with different titles, dating all the way back to 2000. Aside from that though, I agree about the easy-listening like j.r. said. With Kida & Amnesiac I tend to skip around on the tracks; not always in the mood to listen to them straight through. In Rainbows is quite lovely.

Anonymous said...

Im giving this review a big fat YAWN. I have never understood this new age music as I never will. Just give me some old school stuff like "Crowded House" and their single, "Don't Dream It's Over."
ps There are a couple versions of it on YouTube.

Melanie M. McKinnon said...

i'm a friend of your wife and your sis in law, stephanie. i wanted to tell you that i just recently have been reading and catching up on your blog and that i really enjoy it. i also love your family, kids especially.

radiohead is definetly an acquired taste. i'm only 22 currently so they were goin strong before i started listening to them and i don't know much about them, but robby, my husband, really likes them and i've learned to enjoy them, as well.

to this day, i can only think of two songs i like but i don't know their names.

Anonymous said...

The first time I ever heard Radiohead, I was watching MTV with my uncle Neal and saw the music video for Paranoid Android. As a 5 year old or something, watching that fat guy trying to chop down a telephone pole with an axe, well, I guess Radiohead will always have a special place in my heart.

Ryan

Neal said...

I love how all of the memories of me with you V boys seem to be somehow be connected to MTV. That, or me allegedly teaching you curse words. I'm glad I've been able to provide you with such positive memories. That video is probably one of the most disturbing six minutes of animation out there--especially the fat guy who is supposed to be Boris Yeltsin.

stephanie said...

where's your stinky fruit review?

MIMI n' LINCOLN RULE!! said...

i don't know if you'll see this but had to let you know because in rainbows is even better than ever. look up the in rainbows podcast on itunes. videos of radiohead in studio recording each song. way awesome. there is one with everyone wearing helmet cams and it rocks.

Jaron said...

In 1994, I was driving up to NY to go to the "Pageant" up there. Creep was being played on a regular basis on all the stations. I was hooked. After The Bends came out, they solidified their spot as my fave, and I haven't found anyone since that can even come close.

I had tickets to the Tibetan Freedom Festival in DC in 1998, and sold them because my Grandma was hosting a family reunion, and insisted that everyone come (right on the same weekend). Radiohead was to come on in the evening. The festival was rained out. All of my "chums" were driving home and heard on the radio that Radiohead would be playing a set at the 9:30 club (a well-known smallish venue in DC, approx 1300 capacity) instead, first come, first serve - just had to show your ticket from the Tibetan Freedom Festival. They all saw Radiohead in a tiny venue. Going to that reunion is the single greatest regret of my music fandom life.

I think In Rainbows is phenomenal. My favorite tracks are Weird Fishes and House of Cards. I have to say, though - Bangers & Mash from the extended version is awesome. Reminds me of Myxamatosis a bit. If you don't have the extended version, you need to get it. All the extra songs are solid.