8.07.2007

Let's hear it for statcounter

OK, I realize I'm a latecomer to the blogosphere and this topic has been discussed ad naseum, but just indulge me while I beat the proverbial dead horse. Just think of it as part of my blogging adolescence and just roll your eyes. So my new obsession with statcounter is what precipitated this. Let me break it down: yesterday flowerchain got 374 hits. I think that's an all-time high. Of course I like to think I had a hand in it--I know everyone was furiously emailing their friends saying "you need to check flowerchain because it links to her husband's new blog." Don't lie, you know you did. Anyway, after reading flowerchain's post you probably think I'm going to complain about the lack of comments, but no, that's not the interesting part about the blogging phenomenon. What I find the most interesting is that that the 'chain and I don't know even close to 374 people. Who are all of these people that are interested in looking at pictures of our kids and reading about our lives? I know, I've read blogs of people I don't know, and honestly I don't know why. Usually it's not a totally random person--I almost always know them in some roundabout way. But I don't obsessively check their blogs, or mark them for easy access. But when flowerchain consistently gets over 300 hits a day, that can't be chalked up to people randomly clicking over from another blog. I can only conclude that it's a case of serial checking. Now, if you're one of those who has no connection to us but just thinks we're enthralling, obviously, I can't blame you. I mean, who can help but be obsessed with a gorgeous woman and her devastatingly handsome husband who are raising three child prodigies. Seriously, Becks and Posh have nothing on us. I'm not saying that something's wrong with you, or that you need to engage in some primal therapy to get over your deep seated psychological issues. I'm just saying it's a little weird. But then again, I guess that's why we have blogs--to share our lives with random people. Would we post if we knew no one was reading? So I guess this is why I shouldn't check statcounter anymore.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Neal,
Here is my comment. I have to admit I am a Blog Stalker. The reason I stalk blogs is because I am strangly obsessed with anyone who is related to me no matter how distant,( You are my first cousin on the Walker side.)

I usually stalk blogs during my lunch hour here at Young Dental. You my use some of our poducts!

Drop me a line sometime ballina17@yahoo.com

Cuz, Matthew Hall

Neal said...

Matthew Hall! Of course I remember you. You don't count as a blog stalker since we're related, so stalk to your hearts content. I'll send you an email so we can catch up. Oh wait, you already know what's going on in my life . . .

Erika said...

Guilty of blog stalking. But, I only stalk people I know. The only blogs I visit that are not by people I know, are a handful of blogs on topics that interest me. You know if you found a salt water aquarium blog you would be all over it! Don't deny it.

Ginger said...

hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Well, you started a blog that links to Flowerchain, so obviously you wanted blog stalkers. I, on the other hand, have a boring blog, that I rarely update, so no one reads it any more except for family members that feel obligated! :-)

But seriously, you guys are way more exciting than Beck and Posh!

Rachel said...

I blog-stalk random people. I don't have a counter on my blog for fear it would say 2 (which would be accurate) and then I would feel like a dork for even thinking people cared enough. Such loverly self-esteem!

Leslie said...

awww, baby. you called me gorgeous.
i love your blog.

Anonymous said...

I think we can use simple mathematics to solve this. You have heard of the Big Bang Theory? I will explain it using what I call "The Big Donut Theory." Say we have 374 donuts. We pick 22 people at random and give them 17 donuts. We tell each of these 22 people to give one donut to 17 totally different people. Simple math tells us that 22 times 17 equals 374. That is the answer. If we wanted to use abgebra we would have X=374 and then we would divide that by pi/r2 and get 22, which would be the number of people you started with. All this talk about pi or is it "pie" has made me hungry. I wonder if I can find a pie shop in this airport?
And about that "Statcounter." With all the router and websharing and web leasing, a location is hard to pin point. Add that to all the WiFi locations that are available in coffeshops and airports makes Statcounters almost useless for geographic detection.

tara said...

It's possible that she's got people reading her blog from her etsy shop... and A room somewhere really is fabulous... so any woman who's interested in making things loverly probably reads it, and blog hops to flowerchain, to budgnk. I'm glad I at least KNOW y'all other wise I'd feel like a freaky stalker.
Speaking of freaky... I got an EMAIL (not a comment) from a "Billy" in SoCal saying things like "you have a beautiful family and the most beautiful red hair I've ever seen" (well that's really all it said) and I was wigged out. I emailed him back, but never heard anything back, so I'm assuming he realizes that I was wigged out and is steering clear. Poor Billy.

Jodie Haney said...

You use big words. I like it.

Charlotte said...

I stopped checking my stat counter long ago. Sometimes when I am waiting for something to download or fax, I read some random blogs... but only if they are linked from Leslie or Stephanie's blog. I also love the random links that Elliot posts. I can barely find the time to post at my own blog, much less check out a bunch of other people I don't know.

R said...

GoStats is said to be overall faster and easier to quickly grab your stats. (once you get into the hang of it)

Pa said...

i can already tell that your blog is going to be fun neal! i just don't know when you are going to have time to post let alone check all your stats. lauren

Unknown said...

Hi Neil!
Okay... I admit.. I read flowerchain every couple of days. I really admire Leslie's writing style. She has a great way with the written word. And I admit.. I was one of those who read your first blog and did not comment. congrats on getting started!
Kimberly Griffin

Elizabeth said...

Sometimes I get over a hundred hits a day (and I have like, THE most boring blog EVER), but I think it's only because my user pic is Audrey Hepburn and Google Images sends them to my blog.

THAT's embarrassing.

Lara said...

I am a blog stalker also. It's like reading people's diary but not getting in trouble for getting caught. I love Leslie's A room Somewhere. I don't make the time to find beautiful things so I just look at the ones she finds.